The City of Wharton City Council will hold two meetings on Monday, Jan. 25; a specially-scheduled meeting at 5 p.m. and a regularly-scheduled meeting at 7 p.m.
At 5 p.m., Wharton City Council will adjourn to executive session to continue deliberation on the appointment of its next city manager.
City of Wharton Mayor Tim Barker said the process has been slow-going; however, he noted council wants to ensure they find the right fit.
“(The council) wants to take time to interview all potential candidates,” Barker told The County Gin. “Mr. Garza has officially retired, but is still contracted with the city until we find a suitable replacement.
“This gives (the council) time to find the right fit — an individual that has experience with issues Wharton is facing.”
At its regularly-scheduled meeting at 7 p.m., Wharton City Council will hold a public hearing regarding the submission of an application to Texas Department of Agriculture for a 2021-2022 Texas Community Development Block Grant Program (TxCDBG) grant.
City of Wharton Community Development Director Gwen Teves told The Gin that this grant, if approved for submission and awarded, would assist with infrastructure need in its historic downtown.
“This would be used for lighting, sidewalks, accessibility, etc,” Teves said. “We would not be using these funds on the buildings that are located downtown, only, for those approved infrastructure projects.”
This application would be categorized as part of the Main Street / Downtown Revitalization Program, which has a maximum award amount of $350,000.
The application deadline is May 1, 2021.
Other items to be reviewed and considered by the Wharton City Council are:
- City of Wharton Financial Report for December 2020.
- Request by Mr. Philip Contreras of Arkitecture Construction on behalf of Mr. & Mrs. Kenneth Harris, 1633 Connie St., Wharton A. Jackson, Blk 52, Lots 5B & 5B-1 for a 0’ variance to build over property line and a 5’ variance from the required 25’ front building line setback.
- Request from the Wharton County Recovery Team for donation by the City of Wharton for the house structure at 416 South Sheppard Street.
- Request by the Wharton County Recovery Team for a variance for Temporary Placement of Travel Trailer for Temporary Housing for client.
- Resolution: A resolution of the Wharton City Council authorizing the City Manager to purchase an EXV and two compressors for the chiller at the Wharton Police Department and extended warranty for five years from Hunton Services through the Choice Partners Cooperative Purchasing Program and authorizing the City Manager to execute all documents related to said purchase.
- Resolution: A resolution of the Wharton City Council approving a Joint Election Agreement with Wharton County Elections Department for the City Election; and authorizing the Mayor of the City of Wharton to execute the agreement.
- City of Wharton Municipal Election 2021: Ordinance: An ordinance ordering a City Officer’s Election to be held as a joint election with Wharton County Elections Department for the purpose of electing the positions of Mayor and Councilmembers; Providing for the date, time and place of the election, Notice of the Election, Filing Applications; Drawing for Ballot Positions, Use of Accessible Voting System, Appointment of Election Workers, Early Voting and Making Election Returns.
- Una ordenanza ordenando una eleccion de funcionarios de la ciudad a celebrarse de forma conjunta con el departamento de elecciones alcalde y del condado de Wharton con el proposito de elegir puestos de concejales; asignando la fecha, Horas, Y presentacion de solicitudes, sorteo para lugares en la balota, use de sistema de votacion accesible, Nombramiento de los trabaj adores de la eleccion, votacion anticipada, Y entrega de los resultados de la eleccion.
- Resolution: A resolution of the Wharton City Council approving an agreement between the City of Wharton and Borjorquez Law Firm, PLLC for redistricting in accordance with the 2020 U.S. Census Date and authorizing the Mayor of the City of Wharton to execute the agreement.
- City of Wharton Information Technology (IT) Department:
- A. City Council acceptance of a grant in the amount not to exceed $1,500 from the Texas Municipal League Intergovernmental Risk Pool (TMLIRP) for the purchase of one year of Cloud Backups through VC3.
- B. Resolution: A resolution of the Wharton City Council entering into an agreement with VC3 for cloud backup and restoration services and accepting grant reimbursement from the Texas Municipal League Intergovernmental Risk Pool (TMLIRP) in an amount not to exceed $1,500 and authorizing the City Manager of the City of Wharton to execute all documents related to said agreement and award.
- Resolution: A resolution of the Wharton City Council extending the Customer-Developer Sewer Service Agreement with Muegge Family Testamentary Trust and authorizing the Mayor of the City of Wharton to execute all documents related to said agreement and setting an effective date.
- Resolution: A resolution of the Wharton City Council authorizing the restrictive covenants be filed on City of Wharton properties for the Lower Colorado River Basin Phase I, Texas, Wharton Flood Risk Management Project and authorizing the Mayor of the City of Wharton to execute the documents.
- Resolution: A resolution of the Wharton City Council approving Change Order No. 3 for the HDR Work Authorization No. 1 for the City of Wharton Levee Real Estate Support Services and authorizing the Mayor to execute all documents related to the Change Order.
- Update of City of Wharton Grant Programs.
- Update of City of Wharton on-going Projects.
- Appointments and Resignations to the City of Wharton Boards, Commissions and Committees:
- A. Building Standards Commission.
- B. Planning Commission.
- C. Plumbing and Mechanical Board.
- D. Housing Finance Corporation.
- City Council Boards, Commissions and Committee Reports:
- A. Finance Committee Meeting held January 11, 2021.
- B. Wharton Economic Development Corporation Meeting held December 21, 2020.
- City Manager’s Reports:
- A. City Secretary/Personnel.
- B. Code Enforcement.
- C. Community Services Department / Civic Center.
- D. Emergency Management.
- E. E. M. S. Department.
- F. Facilities Maintenance Department / Wharton Municipal Pool.
- G. Fire Department.
- H. Fire Marshal.
- I. Legal Department.
- J. Municipal Court.
- K. Police Department.
- L. Public Works Department.
- M. Water / Sewer Department.
- N. Weedy Lots / Sign Ordinance.
- O. Wharton Regional Airport.